Thursday, January 22, 2015

Get It Scrapped- Flat Geometrics

This was by far one of the most difficult challenges I had taken on in awhile. Flat geometry is fascinating. Converting it to a scrapbook layout took a little thinking. I spent a lot of time over at the Get It Scrapped Flat Geometry Pinterest board searching for a way to translate the concept to my personal layouts. In some cases, one can find stamps or even printed patterned paper featuring these flat geometric designs. Those would have been an easy answer but really they didn't provide me with what I really wanted.

Photos With Elephants by Christy Strickler |Supplies Patterned Paper: Studio Calico; Tape: Amy Tangerine, My Mind’s Eye, Bella Blvd.; Tag: Fancy Pants; Wood Veneer: PinkFresh Studio, Studio Calico, Jillibean Soup; Sequins, Stickers: Studio Calico; Die Cut: Chic Tags; Ink: Tsukienko, Ranger; Stamps: Studio Calico, PinkFresh Studio; Other: Tape, Doily; appears in an article for Get It Scrapped





I realized that I was drawn to many of the geometric animals and landscapes. Recreating these would not be easy, but could be accomplished through paper piecing.I chose a simple color for the background. The paper already had a subtle geometric design. I started by composing the landscape, which was the simplest part of the layout. I used rectangular pieces of green washi tape. Notice how I am using the color tones. Each part of the design is composed on one color and uses multiple tones of that color. The same idea helped me compose the elephant. I used circle punches and multiple shades of blue patterned paper. Plain paper could definitely be used, but I really like the subtle texture that printed patterned paper offers. The plants are essentially half of a star stamp. The tree is composed of half circles and thin washi tape.

When it came to embellishing, I took a little bit of creative license. I noticed that many flat geometric prints feature a blend of real animals or designs mixed with the geometric elements. The embellishments around the photo reflect this. I stamped the title using a geometric print. I felt I needed something angular to match the landscape.

Overall, this was a challenging layout, but as always, I love the result. I am not sure I will be repeating a bold geometric design in the future. I can say that I love the whimsical feel it adds to these zoo photos of my son. It matches the story but has allowed me to create something different from my typical zoo themed page.

Additional Resources












The Get It Scrapped Membership
Click here to view more details














No comments:

Post a Comment