Thursday, January 29, 2015

The DigiScrap Geek Podcast: Episode 18- Sharing about Yourself


When I scrapbook, my favorite subjects are my husband, son and our pets. I do put a lot of myself into the design of the pages as well as the storytelling. It's not often though that there is a photo of me or a story specifically about me. Last year, I began following Kristin Tweedale's blog. My goal was to learn how to better include me in my pages. When you haven't been the sole focus of your layouts, switching gears can be difficult. We discuss what hangs us up and what we can do to change the way we document ourselves in the latest episode of the DigiScrap Geek Podcast.

After recording the episode, I thought I would take a look back through my pages to find layouts that include me in photos or tell stories about me. It's not as many as I would have liked, but I still wanted to share them with you.

This was one of the few times I handed the camera over to my husband. I had the amazing opportunity to participate in a Sea Turtle release. The journaling is mostly about my son and the opportunity itself. You can find the original blog post about this layout here.












This was a hard layout for me to make. It is based on a prompt from Get It Scrapped to journal as though you heard some news and are discussing it with someone. I chose to write to my grandfather to tell him how I felt about his passing and what impact his life had on mine. The original post can be found here.











I created this layout for the Scraphappy Layout a Day Competition in October of 2013. I find that many of the photos that feature me in them also feature my husband...which is a wonderful thing.This layout tells the tale of how neither of us ever went to prom. My husband's current job sometimes involves us having to attend black tie affairs. We often joke about how it feels like he is taking me out to a formal dance.









After seeing someone post the idea of creating a current self portrait by using objects from the person's life, I decided to try it out. I staged this photo which include my tablet, a camera, scrapbooking tools, cat toys, and a video game controller. All of these objects reflect various parts of my life at that current time. You can see the original article here.










This is a photo of me with my best friend. Yet again another rare moment in which someone else had the camera. I guess I need to let go of the camera more often. You can see the original blog post about this layout here.













There are a few more layouts which feature me in them. I would like to see more. This year, my goal is to become comfortable participating in the #thursday3 challenge. I also have a goal to art journal more. Since I do better when I am accountable, I will be joining the Awesome Ladies Project. How about you? Is there enough stories and photos with you in them? Or would you like to see more of yourself in your albums?

Additional Resources


You can join the Awesome Ladies Project here. It's completely free and lots of fun.






I missed being there to record Episode 17 with Anna Aspnes. I have plans to listen this weekend. Have you heard it? If not, pop on over to listen.











No comments:

Post a Comment