Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Faux Bois- the Phrase of the Day

Sounds a lot more fun then just saying wood grain, doesn't it? That's what it means and it's a hot trend right now. More than likely, I am pronouncing it wrong. I remember when I saw my first sheet of Faux Bois paper. I hated it. I had no clue what to do with it. However, as with all things that become trendy, you begin to see it everywhere and you get ideas. My current favorite faux bois product are wood buttons and wood shapes. I especially like those faux bois Pink Paislee Alphas. Today, however, I am taking you back to that paper I hated.


Happy Camper by Christy Strickler | Supplies: Patterned Paper: Bobunny, October Afternoon; Chipboard, Die Cut and Stickers: October Afternoon; Buttons: Basic Grey; Ink: Clearsnap; Ribbon: Cosmo Crocket; Modeling Paste: Liquitex; Stencil: Crafter’s Workshop; other: DMC floss

I have been challenging myself to use more patterned papers as a base canvas rather than using cardstock. The main reason being that, after over a decade of memory keeping, I have quite the stash of patterned paper. In the early days, I coveted the stuff. I used as little as possible, only using the paper if it was just the very perfect thing for the layout. Part of this stemmed from the fact that I was not as supply savvy as I am today. A good portion of my current layouts have hidden middle sections cut out. I can then use the patterned paper as my canvas while at the same time saving just a little to accent another layout. This has helped me to become a little less prone to covet the patterned paper so much. I must also confess that it feels really good to use a supply up. I can feel a little less guilty about hoarding it when I use more of it.

Heading back in the direction of the faux bois paper...it was sitting in a camping kit in my stash. I don't know why I got the camping kit. My family has camped a grand total of maybe one or two times. We are more of a hotel kind of family than a tent camping family.( though I love to hike- go figure). As is the case with many of my supplies, I got them simply because I liked them. I often have no direct purpose for the supplies other than that I believe I will find a use for the someday. My someday came for the camping kit when our upstairs AC unit failed. The faux bois paper and camping embellishments were the perfect set of supplies to compliment the story of how we camped out in the living room for several days. 

Long story short...anything works well if you use the right things to compliment it. Don't look at one piece by itself, pair it with other supplies in your stash and you may like it better. Overall, never be afraid to use your supplies. If you think it works for your layout, then it's the right thing to use right now. Don't save it for another day.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this page when I saw it in the CT Gallery, Christy!! Such a fun use of the themed embellishments to go along with your photos and you did a great job with the wood grain!

    ReplyDelete