Sunday, March 24, 2013

Game Over Man! Game Over!



If you are a fan of the Aliens movies, then you know the exact part I am referring too. In this family, we are big into SCIFI. My son has been collecting Aliens action figures since he fell in love with the movies years ago. When we found out that there was a new Aliens video game, we were all very excited( to say the least)!


Aliens: Colonial Marines by Christy Strickler Supplies| Cardstock: Colobok; Trim: Webster’s Pages; Tool: Gelli Plate; Pens: Signo, Sakura, Bic Mark-it; Other: brads, acrylic paint, vellum, metal washer, pearl, DMC floss, buckles


The hard part about capturing the excitement of a favorite movie or video game is that the photos we take often don't fully capture the emotion of the story. Many times, I find I have simply captured yet one more photo of my husband and son playing a game. I want to find the right papers and embellishments to help set the mood, however, those are not always readily available.

One option would be to print a copy of the movie poster or the video game cover. I did try that here, but I found that the images available to me were not easy to size and fit with my photo so that the font on the poster would be legible. Instead, I opted to partially trace/partially draw an alien onto a piece of vellum. I then fussy cut it out and adhered it over my sons head. It might be hard to see, but I used a little glossy accents to add some dripping saliva.

My son has just learned a little about Gelli Printing. I liked how the images he had made had a sort of alien vibe. Torn Paper, distressed black cardstock and metal embellishments also worked well with the theme. You can find a variety of inexpensive items such as metal washers at your local hardware store. I also used buckles found in the sewing section of a craft store.

Sure, I could have used an alien print patterned paper. I just didn't feel like that kind of cutesy design was right for the feel of this layout. Making my own embellishments and using techniques such as distressing allowed me to add more excitement to an otherwise low key photo.

The next time you have a movie or video game themed layout, look for ways that you can creatively support the photos. The right embellishments and techniques will help support the theme of your layout in such a way that even someone who is not a fan will immediately understand what is going on in the photo.

Need tips for tearing on your next scrapbook layout? Check out this article at Get It Scrapped!

Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment