Wednesday, March 6, 2013

We Would Sing and Dance Around!

Those words are part of the lyrics in a Beatle's Song called Octopus's Garden. This month, at Scrapbook News and Review Magazine, we were challenged to be inspired by the United Kingdom. My process for finding inspiration based on a country is to explore their art, music, food and architecture. I usually create avision board on Pinterest and then go from there. The music of the Beatles is of course iconic. However, my inspiration actually started with a photo and then led me to their music.

When my son was very small, I had taken him to the local science center. They had a full display about sound and music. He became enamored with the idea of strolling across a piano keyboard and listening to the sounds he made as he walked. It just so happened that there were cut outs of the Beatles and their Abbey road album cover behind this piano. It also just so happened that of the many photos I took that day, I captured this one perfect moment of my son strolling along in step with the Beatles.






We Would Sing and Dance Around! by Christy Strickler Supplies Patterned Paper: Heide Swapp,Sassafrass; Letters: My Little Shoebox; Stickers, Felt,Flowers: Sassafrass; Tissue Paper: Pink Paislee, Hallmark; Linking up to the Scrap Your Story Challenge


I wanted to find the perfect papers and embellishments to accent the photo. I looked at a variety of Beetles' album covers. I thought about how the songs made me feel and what they made me think of. In fact, as I write this blog post, I have several Beatle's songs running through my head. I chose some lyrics from Octopus's Garden since that was a happy song on the Abby Road album. The Tissue paper sun beams are a nod to Here Comes the Sun which also appears on that album. Bright happy colors and felt creatures further help my memory association with how  I envision Beatles songs.

Music, though intangible, is a very powerful memory keeping tool. I wrote a few tips which appeared on the Scrapbook News and Review blog about how you can use it on your next project. Meanwhile, stay tuned for more of the British Invasion this month from SNR magazine. You won't be disappointed.



Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

  1. This is really cute Christy!! Love the sun with the bright color overlapping the rays. And that photo is too cute and perfect for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy! I love all the texture that this layout brings! Adorable photo! Thanks for playing with us at Scrap your Story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sunrays are awesome and I love Thank you so much for joining us at Scrap Your Story... hope you'll be back playing along next week. :) the pink and yellow combo at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute?!?!? Great page!!!!
    Thanks for joining us at SYS!!! Can't wait to see what other creations you have in store!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning photo, these are the ones that make it special :) A real fun artsy layout. Grab job. Thanks for playing along at SYS....

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGoodness. This is wonderful!!! I am loving the texture and mix-media feel of this layout. Seriously. Fab. Thanks for playing at Scrap Your Story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how cute!! Love the texture and the cute creatures at the bottom of the page. Thanks for playing along with Scrap Your Story!

    ReplyDelete