Saturday, March 9, 2013

One Shelf at a Time: Clear

  For various reasons( LOAD213, DT assignments, being tired/ill) over the past several months, my desk has become a chaotic hurricane. Sure, I like to work within organized creative chaos. I do, however, need a little structure too. One of my goals in 2013 was to establish a way to keep my things more organized. I want to be able to easily put something away so that I will do just that. So today, I implemented my one little word and started a cleaning and organizing revolution.
I still have a ways to go, but now I at least have a really good start. I think now I can keep moving forward with my one shelf at a time concept while maintaining my desk. Today I reworked my pens, JBS Mercantile kits. stamp carving storage, inks and washi tape storage. I plan to share some of those in more detail soon.

Meanwhile, I have an idea of what was not working and I have solutions that may fix it. I will need to live with this change for a little while to see how it works. I also need to keep to certain rules. This is my first ever  dedicated scrap space. It's an odd little spot in a closet. Weird, but for whatever reason, the people who lived here prior to us felt the need to put a built in desk in the walk in closet. I do have a nice view out of the closet's french door( yes, more weirdness) and can see the whole room plus out of a window. I digress though... My space is small and it is finite. Therefore, I need to choose what comes into it very wisely. This also means using up more of what I have on hand which makes me feel good anyway.

I have made some interesting discoveries about the way I store things. I need to see them or have easy access to use them and properly place them back. I like the look of glass jars but  really don't like dusting them. This may sound simple, but knowing these things will help me direct my organizational budget and the choices I make in the future. If you find you are struggling with your creative space, ask yourself what you like and don't like about each separate set of materials. From pens to stamps, each one may be stored or used differently depending upon your style. Knowing what you like and don't like will help you make needed changes. You will find that having a plan also will help you make due with your current solution while you wait to make those changes happen.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment