Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Scientific Method: LOAD213 and the 6x6 Paper Pad

In January, I wrote about CHA Temptation and how I love 6x6 paper pads. I know that a lot of people prefer 12x 12. I still love my 12x12 papers. I do however, also love how easy it is to store a 6x6 pad. I love how I get a little bit of every paper from the collection. My wallet also loves the cost. Sometimes though, you have to get a little creative when you use them. Today, I thought I would share a layout using only one 6x6 paper pad and a sheet of cardstock.

I started off by using a sketch from Shimelle.com.  The sketch calls for the full use of the 12x12 canvas. This meant that I had to reduce the size of my canvas to accommodate the 6x6 papers. I cut the paper into strips and arranged them in a manner similar to the sketch. It was easy to choose the papers. Using a 6x6 pad takes a lot of guesswork out of the mix. All of the papers coordinate and it simply becomes a matter of choosing the ones you want.



Once I had adhered the paper to the cardstock, I stitched around the edges. I had used some of the borders from the top of each paper sheet. Many pads are printing designs on the top potion of the paper. The only con is that they also tend to have a hole in the dead center of the paper strip. I cut a paper strip of my own and used it to to cover the holes. I didn't need to carry the paper strip across the whole thing. It's easy to hide the gap with a photo.




It was now just a simple matter to embellish the layout as usual.  Would you have ever guessed this was created using paper from a 6x6 paper pad?


Up High by Christy Strickler Supplies| Patterned Paper: Pebbles; Flowers: Sassafrass, Recollections; Stickers: Studio Calico; Dies: Sizzix; Brads: Making Memories; Other: Letter Stickers, glass beads, metal from a soda can; submitted to Simon Says Stamp Metal-ology challenge






I know it doesn't look exactly like Shimelle's sketch. That's ok. Sketches should be a starting point and guide. I let creativity drive my choices and I like the end result. I also love how friendly this layout was on my budget. I do admit that using a 6x6  pad can be tricky. Part of the fun, for me, is the challenge of making it work.



Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Really awesome use of the 6x6 paper pad Christy!! Love how you layered the different papers and such a fun page design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely, I am always tempted by all those 6X6 pads but have struggled with ways to use them for 12X12 pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely! I really like all of the patterns and the way you worked with the 6x6 papers!

    ReplyDelete