Tuesday, February 19, 2013

LOAD213: It's OK to Make Simple Layouts

Somewhere along the line, inundated with choices between techniques, patterned paper and embellishments,  we sometimes feel like our layouts must be complex to be full of meaning. Don't get me wrong! I love creating and getting the most from my supplies. I always want new things and I love using my stash on my layouts. I often love to add paint or mists. Sometimes though, we may find ourselves pressed for time. This means our layouts need to be more simple and less technique laden to accommodate our time constraints. Layout a Day teaches you how to work within the time you have and to learn that even though a layout isn't bursting with product that does not mean it is not worthy. It still tells a story.

Over the past few weeks, I have made a variety of layouts for LOAD213. Some were very detailed. Other, like the two I will share today are very simple in nature. On some days, I found myself very tired or short on time. So I chose subjects, that while meaningful, could be documented with simple supplies.

Sunset on Our Anniversary by Christy Strickler
Supplies| Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper, Buttons: Basic Grey; Alphas,Ephemera: Jenni Bowlin; Die Cut: Fancy Pants; Other: washi tape


I wanted the photos to be the focal point. They are so beautiful that little else is needed to accent the layout. If you are short of time, it helps to choose a set of photos that don't need a lot of embellishments to support the story.







S,M,L: One of Each Size by Christy Strickler Supplies| Patterned Paper, Stickers, Tag: Basic Grey; Other: Kraft cardstock

My son has been saying that we now have a cat of each size. Though the shots from Instagram are not awesome, they are perfect for a quick layout to document his thoughts about our cats. The day this layout was created was a day in which exhaustion had hit me like a brick. To save time, I started with one of Shimelle's starting point prompts and built a simple layout over the top. I could have added more embellishments. However, I was so tired I simply met the LOAD deadline. That doesn't mean I can't revisit the layout later and add more details.

I am a busy wife and mom. I homeschool my son and participate on several creative teams. I love what I do, but some days it can really take a lot out of me. On those days, I have given myself permission to create the very simplest of layouts. It feels good to have a layout completed with another story told. Plus, there isn't a rule stating you can't go back and add more details later. I invite you to do the same. Trust me when I say that simple layouts really can really make you just as happy as the ones with tons of details.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment