Friday, October 5, 2012

Tales of a Craft Class Junkie: Asymmetrically Challenged

I don't know what was wrong with me. I have made asymmetrical layouts before. However, here I was with an assignment to create one for the Guided Study Critique class and I was just stuck. I guess i am in more of a symmetrical mood lately. At the suggestion of the ladies on the forum, I set out in search of a sketch. I had wanted to play with the designs at Skissedilla for a few weeks now, so I chose Sketch #178 as a jumping off point. Within minutes, I had a photo printed and I was off gathering supplies. Since I had yet to create a layout using one of my Kit-tastic class kits, I began sorting through my JBS Mercantile September goodie bag. I had just seen the perfect paper inside that kit. With the perfect paper in hand, I rotated the sketch and started creating. I love when a good layout comes together so quickly.

Another Saturday at the Hole by Christy Strickler Supplies|  Cardstock: Colorbok; Patterned Paper: Jillibean Soup; Stencils: Crafter's Workshop; Trim: Cosmo Cricket; Brads: Sassafrass; Stamp: JBS Mercantile; Ink and Markers: Ranger; Stickers: October Afternoon; Die Cuts: Jillibean Soup; Other: Vellum, paper clips

I handmade the feathers using a tutorial from Balzer Designs. They are modeled after Jenni Bowlin's vellum feathers. I used a paperclip instead of wire. I colored with Ranger Distress markers directly on the stamp. I was happy that the markers worked with the vellum.

While the papers are all from my JBS mercantile kit, I used scraps of ribbon for the rest of the layout.The white cloth is actually part of some leftover Webster's pages trim used on another layout.  The trim had been too thick, so I had cut off part of it to fit my page design better. I am glad I had the remnants for this layout. It always feels so good to use up scraps.

I used a Crafter's Workshop Stencil for the title. I think the Dylusions Letter Jumble  stencil is intended more as a background. However, you can use parts of it to letter a title as I did here. It can be a bit of a challenge to find the write letters in the correct sizes though.

Overall, the critique went well. I expected it do so since the sketch was my starting point. I do have some ideas for tweaks to the page elements. However, I may just leave this one be.





2 comments:

  1. Great take on the sketch and love how you have done the journaling.
    Thank you for playing with us at Skissedilla!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this and the colors! Thanks for playing along with the sketch too :)

    ReplyDelete