Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Just my Style

Whenever I find myself in a creative slump, I tend to analyze my style. What steps do I take in creating a layout? Can I change any of them to make things a bit more interesting? What products do I like to use? Are there any products in my stash that I have been neglecting? I will often start with a sketch so that I can focus on these questions without having to think about design. This next layout was one that I analyzed as I created it.

Puss and Boots Face by Christy Strickler |Supplies Patterned Paper: Webster's Pages, My Mind's Eye, Fancy Pants; Letters: Heidi Swapp; Tape, Doily: Freckled Fawn; Butons: Jillibean Soup; Sticker: Time Holtz; Ticket: fancy Pants; Enamel Dots: My Mind's Eye; based on a Sketch from SimpleScrapper.com











This layout features my cat laying on my desk and looking very cute. I love how he makes his eyes big and round. This particular photo doesn't necessarily have a deeper story. I chose it because I wanted to work fast and just enjoy placing pretty things on the page. Often, I choose photos like this one as a warm up for creating. I take more time and put more thought into layouts with deeper stories.

What I noted about my process:
- I am loving busy patterned paper background lately.
- I am embellishing a bit less. This may be due to the patterned paper being busy.
- I have a thing for using scatterings of enamel dots.
-I haven't been using a lot of the stickers in my stash lately. I made it a point to add at least one to this layout.
- I like block designs. I think I was drawn to this sketch because of the block design.

I like the end result of the layout I created. Once I was done, I had an idea of where I could go to shake things up a bit in my process. My goals this month include: breaking out of the block design, use more stickers from my supplies, and try making a layout on solid cardstock. It should be noted that there is nothing wrong with my creative process. I am simply at a point where I want to change things a bit. Challenging myself will help me get out of the creative slump while taking my process in new directions.

How about you? Are you ready to analyze your process and look for new directions? Or are you feeling pretty content with your process right now?

Supply Options


Additional Resources




Part of the Get It Scrapped Membership
Click here to view more details

1 comment: