Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Scientific Method: Spelling with Word Stamps

When it comes to stamps with words and phrases, I am the first to confess that I don't use them very often. I take the words given to me at face value. What the stamps says is what it says. It might be a phrase like Happy Mail or Love. Therefore, I must find a way to use those exact phrases on a layout. Right? This means the stamp waits in my supplies for just the right moment to be used. I am pretty sure I am not the only one.

When we see stamps, we take the whole word. When we use letter stickers, we take a different approach. We spell the word we want. What if we did the same with our stamps? Now you are probably saying, hold on a minute. The stamps is the way it is. How am I going to spell anything with a word or phrase stamp? It's a lot easier than you think.


Supplies
a scrap sheet of cardstock
a marker such as Tim Holtz Distress markers which allow you to color on a stamp
word or phrase stamps
a craft knife
small strips of scrap paper


Step One Color only the letter or letters that you want to use. In this case, I want the H and the A so that I can stamp ha ha ha over and over again. You may need to use several stamps to be able to spell out the new word or phrase that you desire.








Step Two Stamp the letters onto the scrap sheet of cardstock. Then use a craft knife to carefully cut your new word or phrase out.











Step Three This step is optional. You can adhere the phrase directly to the layout. However, I like to glue mine to a very thin strip of paper. I like the extra dimension this gives to the stamped phrase.

I stamped " Ha, Ha, Ha" from the letters in the Happy Mail Stamp. To create the stamped " lol", I first stamped the "L and O" from love, then stamped another "L" making sure it matched up with the O.







It really is that easy to create custom stamped words and phrases. It's just a matter of seeing the stamps in a new light.

What is that Noise by Christy Strickler Supplies| Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper, Stamps, Tape: Studio Calico; Marker: Ranger; Letters: Basic Grey, American Crafts; Die Cut: Basic Grey; Other: DMC floss; based on the September Sketch from Scraphappy.org













Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Great way to make use of your stamps, Christy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool way to use your stamps! Now if only I can gety precision down...

    ReplyDelete