Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Get It Scrapped: Composing in the Negative Space

Ever since they came out, I have loved the idea of large die cut place mats. You know the ones. They come with a variety of shapes welded together, with the idea being that you can use them as an embellishment on your layouts. The problem I always had revolved around how to use them. The place mats take up a large amount of real estate on the canvas. Many people place items under them. Though I like that idea, I really wanted something a bit different.

Content by Christy Strickler | Supplies Patterned Paper: Pink Paislee, Carta Bella; Tape: Glitz Designs; Letters, Die Cuts: Snap; Stickers: Snap,Sassafrass, My Little Shoebox; Ink: Ranger; Stamps: Pebbles, October Afternoon, Freckled Fawn; Sequins: Jenni Bowlin












Instead of layering the place mat over patterned paper, I chose to allow the layers of paper and embellishments to project outward. I punched circles from the patterned paper and layered them over chipboard. This allowed me to stack the embellishments giving them a sense of height.

How do you like to compose in the negative space? Share your layouts with us in the Get It Scrapped Gallery.

Supply Options






Additional Resources











the Get It Scrapped Membership
Click here to view more details















1 comment:

  1. Circle mats like your are exactly why I bought my Silhouette. Love the clever way you used it!

    ReplyDelete