Thursday, August 22, 2013

Tales of a Craft Class Junkie: Grids and Blocks with Masterful Scrapbook Design




Today I shared a layout over at the JBS Mercantile blog. This month's projects feature all of the new product releases from Jenni Bowlin. One of the ways I am able to incorporate the classes I take is to work on some of the class assignments in conjunction with my design team work. Some classes work better than others for this. Masterful Scrapbook Design is one that allows me to incorporate the topic into whichever style I choose to work with and whatever design team assignment I may currently have. I have been a student since the class began and have always loved the way Debbie Hodge teaches design. It's one of the reasons I chose to apply for the Get It Scrapped design team last year.

The current seminar is all about grids and blocks. As usual, Masterful Scrapbook design invites me to take a look at my past work and at my current process. As I created this layout for JBS Mercantile, I decided to incorporate the grid design. What did I observe? It seems that, though I am not completely opposed to using grids, I am more likely to use a block design or to use a grid the same way I use a sheet of patterned paper. I tend to be more comfortable floating my page elements above the grid versus working all of my elements into the grid itself.

Now, is my observation correct? I'm not 100% sure. I plan to submit this layout for analysis during office hours next week. Office hours are an opportunity to submit your layouts for critique. No worries though. The critique is always done in a very constructive manner. It's a great way to learn about what others perceive in your style as well as opportunities for you to tweak your future work. Perhaps I will see some of you in an upcoming session.

Meanwhile, it's time for me to go practice some more grids and blocks.






Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I love how you created the grid design in the background, but have the elements of your layout extending over the boundaries of the grid. I have a tendency to do the same thing, when I'm working with a grid.

    ReplyDelete