Friday, December 28, 2012

Embracing a Little Wonkiness




Today, I have another sketch over at the Scrapbook News and Review blog. I based it on a layout I did for a JBS Mercantile challenge earlier this year. The challenge was all about creating grids. If you have read my blog before, you know I have a serious grid making problem. All of my grids tend to be a bit wonky. Neither rulers nor templates seem to help me. Regardless, I still choose to make grid based layouts some of the time.

Swing Down Memory Lane by Christy Strickler Supplies| Cardstock: Coredinations; Stick pens, Leaves: Little Yellow Bicycle; Stamp: JBS Mercantile; Other: patterned paper, buttons, alphas


Breaking our of your comfort zone from time to time is good for you. It adds a little variety and interest while allowing you to play with new skills. Even though I know this layout is a bit wonky, I still love it.I think the photos of my son are wonderful and I love the textured elements on the layout. It definitely has a homemade and fun feel.


In this case, the layout came first and the sketch came later. However, I often use a sketch when I am breaking from my comfort zone. Having a sketch takes out one part of the planning process. It allows you to focus on the skills that are new to you or that you don't use regularly. You might also want to choose to work from a kit. Having a set of supplies that coordinate helps reduce your decision making time, once again allowing you to spend more time experimenting outside your comfort zone.

Stepping outside your comfort zone can be as simple as choosing a design form that you don't do well. It can also involve trying new techniques. Whatever it involves, just have fun with it. Embrace any little imperfections and enjoy the process.





Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Great tips about using a sketch and/or a kit when working out of your comfort zone. I think your wonky grid looks fantastic and fits the fun theme of your page - nice layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Christy!! I don't think any of my layouts ever have straight lines on them!! The wonkiness gives them personality and makes them fun!

    ReplyDelete