Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Scientific Method: Creating a Pocket Full of JuJu

Last month, I was honored to be a guest for JBS Mercantile. I received several kits for November which featured awesome black, red and cream papers. I still have a lot of product left to play with. However, I also wanted to extend the kits I have. I am on a limited budget and there are not any local stores that carry JBS Mercantile products. The answer to my dilemma was to go hybrid.

I chose two specific kits. The Red and Black Extension and the Vintage Cream and Black digital kits were perfect compliments to the JBS Mercantile November papercraft kits.

From my November papercraft kit, I selected a sheet of paper covered in shirts and blouses. I printed a few sheets of patterned paper from the Red and Black extension to match. Then I set to work creating my layout.








I love the packaging my stamps come in. Now that the stamp was safely stored away, I knew this would make a wonderful journal spot.I simply needed to cut off the top portion of the card.








I used black cardstock to matte my papers and photos. Now I just needed to add the title and embellishments. You may be wondering what a cat and paper with shirts have to do with each other. My cat is in the suitcase which, as we all know, holds clothes. I also liked the coupons. When we do pack a suitcase, it often weighs in at the airport around 50 pounds.





I decided on the title, mostly based on the red letters left in the package. Originally, I was going to use  "Pocket full of Kitteh!" Machine stitching and outlining the letters with marker made the title stand out a bit more.








I embellished the layout with handmade flowers. I cut strips of printed paper, but found them to be a bit stiff. If I had thought about how I would use the paper, I may have printed it on lighter weight cardstock. I worked the paper back and forth, bending it to make it more pliable. Then I was able to create the flowers.


A Pocket Full of JuJu by Christy Strickler Supplies| Cardstock: Colorbok; Patterned Paper, Digital Paper, Buttons: Jenni Bowlin Studio; Alphas: American Crafts




I liked the ease of using the digital papers. I used to print and use paper like this when I first started scrapbooking. I abandoned it long ago due to the low quality of the printed papers around 2001. Now, having a really high quality printer ( I use an Epson Artisan), good cardstock, and wonderful digital files make printing your own paper and embellishments a wonderful alternative. I don't have to worry whether I have just the right paper. If I need to, I can search on-line, find what I need and then press print.

For printing tips, check out the article I wrote for today's Workshop Wednesday post at the Scrapbook News and Review magazine blog.

Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment