Monday, August 9, 2010

Sewing on the Edge

 I love handstitching. Quite honestly, I have yet to even pull out my sewing machine. I think getting that out of the closet would take longer than just handstitching on the page.LOL Sometimes, I want to sew right off the edge of the page. It really is far simpler than you might think.

I first start off with marking my holes. You can do this with a bazzill template. You can also use a piece of plastic canvas as a guide. Or, as in this case, you can draw it free hand. I used embellishments found in the Crate Paper Brook Collection kit as my inspiration. Take your paper piercer and punch the holes. When you get close to the edge, make sure to be very careful not to rip it.

This photo gives you an idea of how close to the edge you can get.

Start stitching away. You may wish to start a little ways from the edge of the page. That way, your knot won't hang off the back edge. When you get close to the edge. You will carefully loop your thread around the page edge and push the needle back through the hole.


Make sure you don't pull too tightly as you can rip the paper or crimp it.


Continue stitching as normal.




It creates a wonderful effect on your page. Here is a close up of the edge.

Handstitching has become a favorite way for me to add accents to my page. Sometimes I use a little:

and sometimes I use a lot:

With Rainbow Popcorn. I wanted to create the look of clouds on the top portion of the page. So I used a cloud stencil. I drew clouds all over the page, then used my paper piercer at intervals. It took awhile to stitch this page, but I feel it was worth it.

* Get the Buggy is Sketch Inspiration # 136, Sketches for you August SGOTM color challenge. Products used are Crate Paper Brooke Collection, K and Company Ancestry paper ribbon and a handmade rose.

*RainBow Popcorn is the sample for my August be Inspired  project at Sketches for you. I used Sassafrass and DCWV papers. the ribbon is from the fabric store. The title is made with Colorbok Punch Out Alphas. I added Diamond stickles and glossy accents to the letters.

Don't forget...if you make a project with a flower, submit it to Scrap our Stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment