Friday, July 26, 2013

Get It Scrapped: Cityscapes

Whenever a motif hits the design scene, I find myself curious as to where it came from and why it became predominant.  If I intend to use a something on my layouts, I like to know what meaning it lends to my story. I found very little regarding cityscapes other than some vague references to the cityscape motif representing a society that is moving forward, progressing, and being affluent. It may also represent a desire to move away from difficult times.

None of this really works for my stories. While it's nice to incorporate deeper or hidden meaning into the use of a motif, sometimes, using a particular item is really just about what it can mean for you personally. In my case, cityscapes can represent one of two things: places I have traveled to or support for comic book themed photos.

 FLL by Christy Strickler |Supplies Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper: Studio Calico, American Crafts, Webster’s Pages; Letters: American Crafts; Flair: A Flair for Buttons;Die Cut: Silhouette; Other: vellum


This layout inspired today's blog post. I created it for a Get It Scrapped assignment about the cityscape motif. Here, the cityscape motif is used to represent travel. If you have a Silhouette machine, you can find a cityscape for almost any major city in their on-line store.The yellow skyline is supposed to be an actual depiction of Fort Lauderdale's skyscrapers. I was documenting our flight from Fort Lauderdale. The airport code is the title. I used papers that represent the different views from a plane. Some of the buildings are easy to see, there is a map view and a view from the clouds. In hindsight, I wish I would have swapped the position of the map paper with the cityscape paper.

Opening the Presents by Christy Strickler | Supplies: Cardstock: Bazzill; Hybrid Elements- Patterned Paper, Alphas: Heroic collection by Traci Reed; Letters: My Little Showbox; Wood Veneer: Studio Calico; Stitching Stencil: Amy Tangerine; Tape: Queen and Co.; Pen: Sharpie; Other: DMC floss

This layout was also created for Get It Scrapped. The topic was all about using book papers. I used comic book inspired papers and added a handstitched cityscape to support the motif. The cityscape is a template from Amy Tangerine. I love the simple look the skyscapers add to the layout. They feel somehow bold and understated at the same time.


Sometimes, motifs have a deeper meaning which you can easily apply to your stories. Other times, you need to search for personal associations that make the motif work well for you. Whatever the case, remember, you don't have to take things to seriously. Make your layouts meaningful but don't forget to have fun.

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pages Christy, and great use of the Motif! Love your photo placement on the first layout and the use of the different patterns on both pages!

    ReplyDelete