Friday, February 18, 2011

Home Economics

  I don't know about you, but I never learned to cook in school. I have heard that some took such classes. Home economics in my school was all about sewing...which I never have done well(except for on a Layout). Anyhow, cooking is and important skill. I learned only a tiny bit from my mother and grandmother. The rest I learned on my own. I am no gourmet chef, but I can feed my family just fine. I didn't want for my son to one day go out in the world without the skills he would need to cook and care for himself. So I set out to make cooking part of our homeschool curriculum. I figure that he's there with me anyhow and I also admit that I really enjoy these moments with him in the kitchen.

Sketchy Thursday 2-17-11 sketch
Scrap Whispers Go Green Recycle challenge-bread tags
  On this particular day, my son had decided he wanted to cook a whole chicken. So we got out some rosemary and other spices and set to work. As you can see, he quite enjoyed the experience. Little Yellow Bicycle's Savor collection was the perfect line for this page. I have been saving bread tags and this was the perfect page to use them on. I added a little pen detail and a recollections sticker, then hung them on some Twinery Pea pod baker's twine. For a fun twist to the title, I substituted the Maya Road house motif for the "o" in the title.

  I chose to use scraps from the first page to create a second layout. Going with today's LOAD211 prompt, I kept it simple with 5 patterned papers, alphabet stickers and journal strips.


I am finding these  LOAD prompts fun and inspiring. It is wonderful to make quick, decisively made pages that I like the overall look of. Almost as wonderful as enjoying a meal I have made with my son.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't learn to cook either while I was young - I supposed I picked up a few things just watching Mom. I enjoy having my kids in the kitchen with me too. Your pages look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute, I love having my niece cook with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great lessons you are teaching your son! Love the title work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are AWESOME! I loveeeeeeee the bread tabs and the title work!! Thanks sooooooooooooo much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cutout house in the title! Thanks for joining the fun at Sketchy Thursdays this week, come play again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christy! Love your LOs and the cunning use of the bread tags. You've won February's Scrap Whispers prize! Please contact us with your details so we can get your prize out to you.
    Congrats!
    Rosey x

    ReplyDelete