Thursday, September 13, 2012

Back To School: Science

School seems to be on everyone's minds these days. Personally, I am in the thick of it all with the task of homeschooling my son. I do enjoy snapping photos of him throughout the school day though I will admit to missing some key photos yesterday afternoon. This week's topic in his Botany class is Fungi. So we went on a mushroom hunt in the backyard. I was busy helping him look under leaves and detritus so I neglected to take any photos of him searching for Shrooms. We didn't find any, so my son resorted to searching the web for images to sketch in his science journal. I did snap a photo of him with his latest journal page.

Shrooms by Christy Strickler
Supplies:  Cardstock: The Paper Studio; All other items from JBS Mercantile except: Buttons and Brads: Basic Grey, Other: Glass beads.




I decided to challenge myself to create a mushroom themed page using my JBS Mercantile kits. I have plenty of brightly colored, whimsical style papers with mushrooms on them. However, they just didn't go with the instagram photo I had printed out. I resorted to drawing a few mushrooms by hand. I cut those out, hand drew and fussy cut the title, then outlined them all with marker.




 My budget is loving the hand drawn, fussy cut title trend I seem to be on right now. Plus, the hand drawn title adds a little more of myself to the page...kind of like hand written journaling does.













My budget also loves glass beads. For a just a few dollars, you can get a pack of them. I use them like this...sewn onto a layout. I also like to sprinkle them on and adhere them with glossy accents. They are great as flower centers, accenting a button or you can use them to create your own stick pins.











For more Back to School Inspiration:
- check out the JBS Mercantile blog
- Check out the Scrapbook News and Review magazine blog, The first week of September is Back to School themed.
- Ideas for Scrapping Back to School from Get It Scrapped
- Scrapbooking Themes QuickStart: School Images, fonts and Sayings from Get It Scrapped

1 comment:

  1. Great page Christy!! Love that you drew the title and mushrooms and fussy cut them! Very cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete