Saturday, October 19, 2013

Get It Scrapped: Coming Full Circle with Gelatos

I want them all. Really. All of the colors. They roll onto the paper like an expensive lipstick, thick and full of color. You can paint with them, spatter them, color things...just to name a few. While I couldn't buy all of the colors, over time, I had acquired a few here and there. I played with them a bit, but then,  the Gelatos sort of fell to the wayside. It wasn't as though I disliked them. I just was no longer inspired to use them. So they sat in the drawer, waiting.

Inspiration came calling soon enough. Behind the scenes of Get It Scrapped, Michelle Houghton announced she was planning a series of articles sharing techniques for using Gelatos. Would we like to play with Gelatos along with her? Who wouldn't?!?! Michelle is uber talented when it comes to drawing, doodling and sketching. I have taken several of her classes. Who better than she to inspire me to use my Gelatos once again!

I cracked open the drawer and pulled the bright little tubes out. This month, we were playing with watercolor techniques. To get myself warmed up, I decided to scraplift a recent layout by Doris Sander.

Constant Chatter by Christy Strickler Supplies| Cardstock: Colorbok; Patterned Paper: JBS Mercantile; Letters: Jillibean Soup; Flair: Freckled Fawn; Wood Venneer: Studio Calico; Chipboard: Pebbles;Coloring Medium: Gelatos by Faber Castell;Stencil: Simon Says Stamp; Other: tape,pencil; layout Inspired by Doris Sander’s He Talks and Talks page featured in the Masterful Scrapbook Design Tension Seminar; from JBS Mercantile September Kit











Many of the supplies I used were left over bits from various JBS Mercantile kits. It felt good to use them up. It felt good to be playing with the Gelatos again.

Layout number two was inspired by my friend, Christy Butters. While my work is not quite like hers, I always feel the need to make messes and get inky when I look at her layouts. I originally learned some of the Gelato techniques I used from her.

Remember to Play by Christy Strickler Supplies| Cardstock: Colorbok; Patterned Paper: Crate Paper, My Mind’s Eye; Letters: Jillibean Soup,Sizzix; Flair: A Flair for Buttons; Flowers,Brads: Freckled Fawn; Stamp: JBS Mercantile; Coloring Medium: Gelatos by Faber Castell;Pen: Sharpie; Other: Vellum, canvas












This layout was also created from the scraps of a past JBS Mercantile kit. I manged to slip in embellishments from the September Freckled Fawn kit as well. I went Gelato crazy for this layout. I colored on a stamp, wet it and then stamped the image onto the cardstock. I also used mist splatters and drips. Each technique provides such a subtle but interesting layer.

This article will be the first in a series about the many ways in which you can use Gelatos on your layouts. You can be certain I will be playing along. I must however, resist the urge to buy more gelatos. How about you? Do you have Gelatos? Do you want more?

Additional Resources



Supplies
Some papers and supplies are exclusive to kit subscriber's for JBS Mercantile or Freckled Fawn. During October, JBS Mercantile is running a sale on some of their past kits. Freckled Fawn still has the September kit available on their website.  You can see my review of their kit here. 




Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment: